This is where we will keep you updated on our galavanting around South America.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Something in the Aire

I don´t think I´ve ever fallen in love with a city before. I´ve read and heard stories where people romanticise about cities- Paris, New York, Melbourne- any place they have ventured to and been taken away by its charm, immensity and style. It had never happened to me like this until I spent my first 2 days in Buenos Aires. I had heard from many travellers how wonderful a place it was. They spoke of great food, cheap wine, fashion, Futbol and Tango. Indeed, I arrived with expectations but was met with something far greater than I had imagined.
The city is a thriving haven of culture, arts and character. A fusion of modernity with antiquity, history with the present and a future that looks like its on its way up after an economic slump at the turn of this century. The old buildings tell of wealth and influence from a European world, intricately and ornately decorated and proudly bearing the Argentinian flag. Each suburb bears its own image, displaying colours and character along tree lined streets through feria´s, markets and performing arts. Meanwhile, through the air wafts the smell of Tango, the pheremone of the city, the sexual, lustrious movement that pulsates through the streets. A leg thrown over a hip, two faces cheek to cheek- this is the dance of the city resonating the qualities of the city itself. Beauty, style and composure. Lust, passion and emotion. I have much yet to discover of Buenos Aires just as I do the Tango, but in an instant of admiring these 2 Argentinian products, I have found myself lost in their charm, drugged by their magic and lusting for more.
Katie x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home